Saturday, March 7, 2015

Snippy Doodles





This is my grandmother's warn and well used Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book. There are several cookies and bars that I'm looking forward to trying. I wonder if they still publish any of these old recipes in their newer books.


Snippy Doodles are one of the recipes my grandmother used to make from her Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book. These little bars are cake-like and go really well with a cup of coffee or tea. They are fluffy and soft with a tinge of cinnamon and sugar. The remind me of snickerdoodle cookies, but in a bar/cake form. I like them the way they are, but I think I might try to make them a little thicker and heavier like a brownie next time.

Snippy Doodles

Adapted from Better Homes & Gardens
Yield: 18 bars
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes

Ingredients
2 tablespoons shortening (I used butter)
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup cake flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup milk
1 well-beaten egg

Directions
Thoroughly cream shortening or butter and sugar; add sifted dry ingredients alternately with milk and egg. Spread thin in waxed-paper-lined 9-by13 inch pan. Bake in moderate oven (350 degrees) 15 minutes. Sprinkle with sugar and continue baking 10 minutes. Cut in squares. Serve warm or cold. 

Note: I greased a 9x13 inch glass pan and they came out easily. I did use cake flour, but my grandmother noted that she used regular flour. It says makes 18 bars, but I cut 24 smaller bars. 


1 comment:

  1. My Mother made these frequently when we were growing up. I made them recently with the wax paper as the recipe said, although I don’t remember there being wax paper in the pan when Mom made them. and I was not pleased with them. The next time I will not use the wax paper and grease a pan instead.

    ReplyDelete