Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Chai Cookies


My boyfriend loves chai tea. It's his go to drink when it's cold out. He's not a coffee drinker at all and only somewhat of a tea drinker, but chai tea is a whole other story. Granted, I like it, but I don't want it all the time. While dreaming up new varieties of cookies, I thought why not chai cookies.


I wanted these cookies to be soft and chewy, not hard like some brittle sugar cookie you get at the grocery store in those see though plastic containers. I did a little research and came up with the perfect chai cookie. Seriously, they are that good. I wasn't sure I was going to be able to photograph them, they way my son and boyfriend were eating them. I think it would be a really good vanilla cookie too, without the chai spices.



It was trial and error with the spices. I didn't want it to be overpowering, but I wanted it to taste like chai. I thought I might have to make a few batches to get it right, but the stars were aligned and they turned out perfect. I tasted the dough to get an idea of what they would taste like and I couldn't stay out of it.  You should never eat raw cookie dough if it has raw eggs in it. It's bad for you. Very bad.


Chai Cookies
Yield: 24 - 30 medium sized cookies
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: About 10 minutes
Total Time: 3+ hours including chilling the dough

Ingredients

1 cup AP flour
3/4 cup bread flour
3/4 light brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cardamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 350°

2. Beat butter, brown sugar, vanilla and egg in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with a spoon. In a separate bowl mix together the remaining dry ingredients. Stir flour mixture into wet ingredients. 

3. Roll into 3/4 inch balls and place about three inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. 

4. Bake approximately 10 minutes without opening the oven door (See photo below). Immediately remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. 

Enjoy!








No comments:

Post a Comment