Saturday, August 10, 2013

Homemade Amish Soft Pretzels





Soft, buttery, delicious Amish pretzels are our Thursday special treat that we get from the Amish market that's only open Thursday though Sunday. Since I've been on a quest to eat clean for the past seven or so years and have been eating rather healthy for twenty or so, I thought I would try my hand at making them. I'm assuming the ones made at the Amish market are from real ingredients and don't contain anything that I can't easily pronounce, but I still thought I would see if they were any good and easy to make.

The thing about anything that you make from scratch is that it only seems to last a few days. This is also true of the pretzels from the market. Which again, makes me think that they are made from real stuff. I found a decent recipe on Pinterest (of course). And while they were pretty good. I have to admit that the ones from the market are better. Is it because anything that someone else makes is always better? Is it the type of flour they use? Is the butter they dip them in, that much richer? Who knows, maybe it's because they make a gazillion of them every weekend and they are professional pretzel makers. Anywho, mine were good and they did get eaten up rather quickly, but I'll take the Amish ones from the market any time. Also, I'll admit it, making them was a bit time consuming, but my three year old did have fun rolling the dough.

Here's the recipe I used. These are the ones from the Reading Terminal Market in Philly. I've never had these, but I think I need to make the trip over the bridge to try them out. They look tasty.


2 tablespoon yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon brown sugar
4 1/2 cups flour
2 tablespoons baking soda
1 cup cold water
Coarse salt
Melted butter
Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add salt, sugar, and flour. Mix well and let rise 15 minutes.

Divide dough in balls; roll each ball into a rope. Twist into pretzel shape.
Dissolve baking soda in cold water; dip each pretzel into the soda water. 
Place on well-greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with coarse salt. 
Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Dip in melted butter. Serve warm with mustard or cheese sauce. Makes 12-18 pretzels.

No comments:

Post a Comment